Saturday, January 2, 2021

Walking Sticks

 


Walking Sticks

 

They look like walking sticks!” Ian exclaims.

And I have to agree

As I pause and watch as one

Methodically plods across the sticky wet path

Its prehistoric claws almost mechanical in their

Focused determination to cross.

Once I waited too long to move the garbage can

It was dark and damp, like tonight

When I did

There was one!

Its rubbery form freed from

The weight of weeks of trash.

Tonight, it’s Christmas Day

The trees dripping with rain

The dampness and the dark

Here at Wildcat Canyon envelop

Them in their migration to where?

Is it time for tea?

Or maybe a beer?

The salamanders aren’t saying

I screamed in shock when I moved the trash that night

But this evening I only smile

As I step carefully over one walking stick after another.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Christian in the 21st Century

  The Creation of Adam , Michelangelo, (1475-1564 CEI) “I had me a good sermon this last Sunday down at St. Luke’s…” Dave has spied me walki...