Thursday, February 4, 2021

Happy Face

 “Daa da daa daa da da daaaaaa! La da da da daaaaa!”


I hear the melody before I spy its source. A man’s groggy baritone, floating over the block as I march up 30th street for my usual morning Pandemic Pacing.

            The tune is familiar. But I don’t place it right away. Instead, as I approach one of the neat little bungalows that line the block, an elderly man with a tremendous shock of white hair and beard, calls out to me. “Beautiful day!”

            I nod, “Yes, it is.”

            “No wind, no rain.” He’s beaming. Waves his arm in a wide arc. Behold the beauty of the day!

            “Yes,” I agree. But for me, I immediately think how no rain means continued drought here in Northern California. I try to banish this from the front of my brain right now as this gentleman is obviously so delighted with the weather.


            And, why not? It is a gorgeous day. Bright blue skies. Warm gentle sunshine. Sweet birds chirping.

            What’s not to like?

            As I pass his house, he takes up the tune again and it hits me. Oh, that song! “Grey clouds are gonna clear up. Put on a happy face....”

            Ugh. I’ve always loathed this song. I mean, like if you just ‘put on a happy face’ all will be okay? Who really thinks this?

            Though as I continue up the street, my face has turned happier, just from the exchange. The music. His delight.

            Is this song really just a song? I mean, my therapist would tell me all the time when I was so depressed to just get up and go through the motions. That soon I would feel better. And I never believed her. But then, when I did try it, when I did go out and walk—this was my go-to strategy even then! ---I did feel better.

            So, maybe there is something to the song, obnoxiously saccharine as it is.

            The beagle couple, a man and a woman, are paused at the top of the block, masked and waiting for me to pass.


            “Good morning,” I holler, putting on my happy face even under my mask.

            “Good morning,” the man says, though not very enthusiastically. He isn’t putting on his happy face! I decide to make him!

            “Good Morning Beagles!” I call out.

            The dogs stare at me, tails beginning to wag. I can’t go up and pet them cuz of the Pandemic, but their owners now smile. I can tell behind their masks.  I almost start singing the song, but decide that this is really too much. Tempting as it is.

            Striding up the next block, I grin to myself, singing the song softly. “Grey clouds are gonna clear up. Put on a happy face.” What’s the next line? I can’t remember, something about sunshine and blue skies?

            I glance up at the blue blue sky, feeling the warmth of the sun on my shoulders. I guess putting on a happy face ain’t so hard after all.

            At least till the next storm comes.

2 comments:

  1. Beagles always have a happy face...they have a perpetual smile line on their little faces...Beau had this smile, and he always made me smile...Oh how I miss himmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Beagles are natural smilers! So very cute! And, I know how much you miss, Beau. I miss him too! But lil Scoshi is a sweetie. Does she smile too?

    ReplyDelete

A Christian in the 21st Century

  The Creation of Adam , Michelangelo, (1475-1564 CEI) “I had me a good sermon this last Sunday down at St. Luke’s…” Dave has spied me walki...