Monday, June 20, 2022

Bad Dog!

 I heard all the barking before I see its source. I’m not paying too much attention. I’m on a block where dogs have never been a problem. In other words, no barking, no sightings, no warnings.

            I’d been telling my mom the night before how there were new warning signs on a fence that I knew was a barrier to dogs. They barked at me all the time. Ferocious and relentless, even when I passed, even when I crossed the street. The new signs said: “Beware of Dog. Not responsible for injury or death.”

            What? That’s pretty ominous, isn’t it? I mean, aren’t dog owners responsible for their dogs’ doings? If a dog kills someone, isn’t that the owner’s responsibility?


            Mom had narrated a harrowing story of her own.  A warning about fences not being as much of a barrier as you think. One morning, while she was on her usual early morning jog, she heard barking, but the barking culprit was behind a pretty substantial fence. Or so she thought. Cuz the next thing she knew, the dog had jumped over the fence and was coming after her. Scared for her life, she ran. (Good thing she was a runner!) The dog was closing in on her when she spotted a lady getting into her car: “Please! Let me get in your car! That dog is after me!” Fortunately, the lady let her in the car; mom slammed the door shut just in time as the dog barreled against the window.

            Close call!

            So, this morning, when I heard the barking, her story was fresh in my brain. Yet, I knew I wasn’t in the usual dog territory, so like I said, I wasn’t paying much attention.

            Then I saw the situation. And what unfolded happened very fast.

            A lithe and loose Pitbull was wandering on the sidewalk ahead of me, barking. A woman was coming out of the house, holding a baby, and yelling at the dog: “Get in here! Get back here! Bad dog! Bad boy!”


            The dog ignored her. Completely. At this point, it was just hanging out on the sidewalk, barking.

            Then another lady parked her Prius, and got out. I had seen her before. Garden Woman. I’d complimented her on her garden once, a rich and lush one with succulents, Lillies, wind chimes, and butterflies. She hadn’t been very receptive to my praise. I decided I wasn’t gonna talk to her again. She was cranky.

            Today, though, when she got out of the car, she made eye contact with me as the Pit continued to bark, making its way toward us.

            I had stopped my walking, planning to cross the street at this point, but when I turned around, there was a big black fluffy retriever hiding behind me. Where did he come from?
            “Hey, boy,” I cooed. Maybe I’m naïve, but I don’t usually connect retrievers with attacking.

            The dog continued to slink behind me, brushing up against my legs, before darting away into the lush garden.


            “Was that your dog?” I asked Garden Woman.

            “Yes, he’s scared of that other dog!” She was miffed. I could tell.

            “Me too!” I said. “I think your dog wanted my protection though.”

            Meanwhile, the Pit had decided to run at me. I just froze. And before I knew it, he was next to me. Nosing my hand. He had a gold chain on. A wet nose. And stood about to my hip level. He had stopped barking. Was checking me out. Was I a threat? Prey?

            I stared down at him. Didn’t pet him. Just stood there.

            He took a final sniff and then turned and trotted back the way he had come. Honestly, I didn’t have time to react. Not even time to feel scared.

            Garden Lady actually smiled at me as I started across the street. “Thanks for protecting my dog.”

            “Sure,” I waved, not certain at how much protection I had been.

            “GET BACK HERE!” Baby Lady was still yelling at the Pit, who was still completely ignoring her. Lingering on the sidewalk, sniffing the dead grass. “BAAAD DOOG!!!”

            As I continued down the block, I thought about how what had just happened could have gone so differently. The Baby Lady had NO control over the Pit. What was she gonna do if the dog had attacked any of us? (Garden Lady, Black Dog, Me) Throw the baby on the lawn and run after the dog?


           I don’t think so.

            I’m glad this didn’t happen, but I have to wonder (and I often wonder this) how some people just should not be dog owners. I mean, dogs are dangerous and can kill people.

            Just look at the signs.

            Listen to the stories.

            And Beware of Dogs!

            

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You should report this to the Police. It is against your City Code to let dogs wander around without a leash. At least it will be on the record for future incidents. Please report it...

    ReplyDelete

A Christian in the 21st Century

  The Creation of Adam , Michelangelo, (1475-1564 CEI) “I had me a good sermon this last Sunday down at St. Luke’s…” Dave has spied me walki...