Monday, May 6, 2024

Where’s the Leash!?

 

 

Mid-morning in May. Blue skies. Wisp of a wind. Mockingbird trills.

Crossing Clinton Ave. on 30th street, I spot ahead of me a tall lanky man and his matching black lanky dog. Leashless. The dog is about half a block ahead of the man. The man, of course, is plugged in with earbuds and phone in hand.

            I slow down, wary.

            This dog was way ahead of his owner, and when the man finally looked up from his phone and saw me, the dog had trotted closer. “Kali! Come here, girl!” he called.

            Pausing, but only for a moment, Kali turned and continued toward me. I wasn’t scared, more just annoyed, thinking how stupid it was for this guy to let his dog walk way ahead of him without a leash.


            “Is she friendly?” I called out, stopping. I mean, I hoped so, right? as the dog continued to approach me. She was the wary one now, dark nose sniffing the air. She was a good-sized dog, but I could tell a young dog. Slender but tall with black and brown accents of a German Shephard fur coat.

            “Oh, yeah!” the owner hollered back to me.

            “Okay,” I continued standing as the dog approached me, sniffing. I held out my hand for a greeting and she let out a low growl.

            Damn! That’s not a ‘friendly’ dog. Did the stupid owner hear that snarl? He made no mention of it. Nothing like, “Oh, don’t worry. She’s all growl and no bite” or some such idiotic assurance. I remember another little dog, Tiny, (of course) whose owner told me she was friendly and liked people and then when I squatted down to show her my hand, she snarled at me. “Oh, I guess she doesn’t like all people,” the owner had laughed.

            Really? It’s funny?


            Part of me is hurt that the dog snarled at me, but another part was just pissed off. Yet this little dog was TINY and it was on a leash.

            Today’s dog was large and there was NO leash in sight.

            I backed away to let them pass. But the owner now took his earbuds out, chatty. He had some sort of accent, Australian? English? All of a sudden, I was in a BBC drama talking to the local shepherd. “She’s just a puppy. People think she’s scary cuz she’s big, but she’s just a lover.”

            “Yeah, I can see she’s a puppy.” Now that the owner was right there with us, I felt safer, but still, the dog was no ‘lover’! At least not with me. She circled away from me. Skittish.

            “What kind of dog is she?” I asked. “Shepard?”

            “Yeah, German Shepard, Greyhound, maybe some Doberman.”

            DOBERMAN!!!! Okay, well that explains it. What the hell was this guy thinking letting his Doberman Shepard mix wander around off leash in the neighborhood?


            He wasn’t thinking. People like him never do. Today, I didn’t even bother to ask him why the dog wasn’t on a leash. That didn’t he realize there were leash laws in Richmond.

            What was the point?

            He would just either be all confrontational with me: “Hey, chill out lady. The dog is just a puppy. She won’t hurt you.” Or, sappy faux apologetic. “Oh, yeah. I know. But she’s a good girl and she deserves to run free.”

            Hey, I’m all for dogs running free. At Point Isabel’s. In their yards. But walking down 30th street where there were other walkers, dogs, babies, squirrels, birds…. Well, NO. They should be on a leash. It’s the law. And it’s dangerous!

            Esp. if they growl at people.

            So, today, I just walked on, knowing that saying anything wouldn’t have done any good. And it wasn’t my responsibility either. I didn’t know where this guy lived. I’d never seen him before. It’s not like I could report him to the police for breaking leash laws.

            Like the Richmond Police don’t have better things to do.

            I’m not going to change people’s bad behavior with their unleashed dogs.

            No one will. Unless something really bad happens. An attack, a scare, an injury or worse.

            I hope this doesn’t happen to this dog. Even though she growled at me, she was just being a dog.

It wasn’t her fault she has an idiot for an owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beagle Treats

  “Is that a beagle?” Tromping down the final hill at Wildcat Canyon, I’ve spotted a beagle within in a group of chatting hikers. Ian and I ...