Wednesday, June 3, 2020

COVID Cat?




       “Ian! Look up on your phone to see if cats can catch Covid from humans or vice versa!”
       He gets right on it. “Well….this is interesting. It says here that cats can catch Covid from other cats, but that they don’t get sick. And, also that there are no known cases of humans transmitting the virus to cats or the other way around.”
       “So, we were fine to pet Onion!” I proclaim.
       “It would seem so,” he agrees, continuing to scroll through his phone as I remember back to the afternoon and how weird Molly was about our petting Onion, the large and friendly target tabby.
      It’d had been slow going. I’ve been out of walking commission for 2 weeks now cuz of a strained thigh muscle. From walking! So, this afternoon had been one of my first forays out into the neighborhood with Mr. Ian. We’d made it all the way up to Onion’s house---an entire 3 blocks!—and I spied the large round tabby hanging out on the sidewalk before I saw his owner watering the lawn. (What? But more on drought and lawn watering another time!) So, in my excitement at both making it this far and seeing Onion, I headed across the street.

            Seeing Molly, I waved, “Hey, Molly!”
            She turned toward me, confused. Did she remember me? Or just forget my name? But she’d called me by name in the past. What was up?
            Onion, of course, came sauntering over for his pets. Ian immediately stooped down to oblige as Sally continued to water, but even in the afternoon light, I could tell she was off.
            I could guess why. Cat COVID Transmission situation!
            So, I made a joke, but afterward realized it’s no laughing matter. “Onion doesn’t know about social distancing!” I hollered.
            “Yes….well….” she began.
            “Is it okay if we pet him?” I asked as Ian was already doing the honors. “Or should we keep our social distance?”
            “That’s a good idea,” she responded as she watched Ian’s enthrallment with Onion’s affections. Onion took a few of Ian’s pats, and then headed over to me. I didn’t stoop down sensing Molly’s palpable anxiety. She was really worried that we would give the cat COVID? Or that if we patted the cat, and then she patted the cat, she’d get it? Were we still in this quagmire of confusion from months ago when Liv and that Don’t Pet My Dog Guy had gotten into a tussle over the same issue? 
            It would seem so.
            I tried to get Ian to move along, but Onion continued to revel in our attentions. Maybe Molly wasn’t petting him enough cuz of COVID Concerns? Or more probably, Onion was just being the Big Friendly Tabby he’s been for the many years I’ve been walking by his house. Cats don’t know about COVID. And if they did, they’d know what to do.
            I am convinced that cats are smarter than most people.
            Molly continues to worriedly watch us, her hose gushing precious gallons of water on her too green lawn.

            “C’mon, honey,” I urge Ian. “Let’s go.”
            “Okay, bye Onion,” he grins, giving the cat one final COVID potential pat.
            As we head up 32nd street, my leg starts to hurt. Am I overdoing the exercise on my strain, or is the pain a manifestation of all the anxiety over the cat?
            A bit of both, most likely.
            “I need to turn around,” I tell Ian. “My leg is hurting.”
            “Sure, sure, no problem.”
            I manage to slowly limp back home the 3 blocks, tired and tired and tired.
            When will this all end? When can we pet cats again? When can I walk again? When can we go back to normal?
            It’s gonna be a long time. Much like the pain in my leg.
            Good to know, though, that cats can’t catch COVID or transmit it to us. Should I let Molly know this next time I see her? Would it help her anxiety or only make it worse? Who knows? Add it to the list of unknowns that pile up on us every day. 

           "Listen to this!" Ian exclaims, still glued to his phone.
           But I've had enough. All I want to do is lie on the couch, eat Oreos, and sink into the melodrama of The Young and the Restless.  Nikki Newman's clandestine dinner date with Brad is suddenly so much more enticing than whatever Ian has discovered on his phone. 
        "Whatever this is...." Nikki murmurs, bending over the table toward him, "it is none of Victoria's business...." She leans in for the kiss and  I hoot. No COVID in Nikki's world. And, sure, it's not real, but for now, I'll take unreality over the unknowns of reality. Just for a little while.....

        



           

1 comment:

A Christian in the 21st Century

  The Creation of Adam , Michelangelo, (1475-1564 CEI) “I had me a good sermon this last Sunday down at St. Luke’s…” Dave has spied me walki...